Hello friends! As a reward for completing Inktober I decided to treat myself to a supply I take been curious about for a while: Brush and Pencil Colored Pencil Powder Blender. During my inquiry I realized that this was not going to exist a cheap effort. The colored pencil blender itself s $7, but I did some research and realized that I would need demand fixative and special sanded paper. At that point I figured if I was going down this road I would get the other accessories that round out the feel. Although pricey, I knew that I would definitely employ the sanded newspaper and fixatives with pastels if the powder blender was a bust so I decided to give it a try. The products arrived two days ago, here is my fist attempt:

For best results with powder blender you desire to use oil based pencils (all regular colored pencils incorporate both oil and wax but pencils regarded as oil based have a lower percentage of wax) which is fine by me because I have Polychromos and I don't use them that much as I favor the thicker waxy more opaque Prismacolors. That said sanded paper is just what is sounds like, sandpaper, and information technology wears down your pencils like crazy! Since I didn't desire to "waste" my expensive Polychomos on a practice piece I grabbed my affordable Fine art-due north-Wing pencils as they are oil based and $20 for a set of $48 so i can afford to experiment without it existence likewise precious. The paper is precious plenty LOL! (I only used half a sheet on this) 😀 BTW the reason you desire to employ "oil" based and not "wax" based pencils is because the wax wants to brawl upwards and get mucilaginous when you add the pulverization blender. If you have whatever pencils that feel kinda dry out they will work fine. The Arteza pencils worked pretty well too. I was able to use Prismacolors for final details that I didn't belnd out at the end tho. If you are curious as to how this all went together please watch the time lapse.

Supplies: *Amazon chapter links used. I volition also link to Castor and Pencil and Blick as not all products are available on Amazon and the prices may be improve in a packet from those sellers.

  • Sanded pastel paper Uart 400
  • Colored pencils (oil based) Art-north-fly
  • Blending tools: Sofft tools and JD Billy Blenders
  • Brush and Pencil Pulverization Blender Products *check their website out for more than info on the powder blender products. Only the B&P powder blender and B&P Titanium White are available on Amazon. The residual can exist ordered from Brush and Pencil or Blick. Depending if you want all of the products in a bundle or a la cart check all places for the best deal. *I am not affiliated with Castor or Pencil or Blick but I bought my stuff at Blick because they had a proficient coupon.

My friend Lisa has a wonderful tutorial using these products. I highly recommend y'all check this out if you lot are thinking well-nigh trying these products.

It's non to oftentimes that I detect something actually new and innovative to attempt. I retrieve the technique of layering the pencils with the pulverisation and fixative is really absurd. You tin can approximate this at dwelling equally I did last calendar month with panpastel and the workable fixative I had. The sanded (or gessoed) newspaper and oil based pencils makes all the departure hither. I think anything that is powdery would piece of work to alloy equally the pencils want to blend on the sanded paper even with no product because the dust shaves off pencil equally y'all color making information technology's own powder. That said I similar supporting innovative companies and I do like that fixative, touch on upwardly texture and titanium white pulverisation and knowing information technology won't scratch off will relieve me on some mixed media piece of work. You can feel OK to substitute with what you lot take on hand to see f y'all like the process before dropping $50+ on the whole shebang. I don't regret my purchase. I retrieve my first try was pretty successful and I look forward to using information technology again. One more matter I wanted to mention is Alyona Nickelsen, the woman who invented this organization, has a book that I am currently reading called The Colored Pencil Bible and information technology is wonderful! I got the kindle version and I am about halfway through. So far there is no mention of the pulverisation blender (I think she wrote it earlier inventing the product) merely she does talk almost shaving colored pencil leads for similar furnishings. It'south worth a look especially if you similar Prismacolor pencils as that is what she mainly uses in the book! I hope you lot enjoyed my Dominicus Experimentation and til adjacent fourth dimension happy crafting!